01 April 2013

We need to Preserve our Family Stories

You might think that those stories are quaint or cute, but they are part of our being human.

On March 13th there was a oped piece by Bruce Feiler titled "Stories that Bind Us."  He proposes that hearing or reading these old family tales strengthen us for hard times.  I can say that "my people lived through hard times and so can I," without the stories you can feel alone.

A link to the article is: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/fashion/the-family-stories-that-bind-us-this-life.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

After reading this article, I saw that Dick Eastman was also recommending his readers to look at the article.

Personally I have used stories as a starting point in investigating some of my ancestors.  I still have parts of stories that I haven't been able to verify, but I may still have to find the link or someone changed the story.

There are some great blogs by people telling their family stories.  Orlando Stone Soup is written by mostly newspapers professionals about the area around Orlando WV. (Ann Baker introduced me to it.)  Annette's Stories of the South is written by a non-professional writer.  She tells stories her late husband told her and stories from her family that she learned growing up.

Do you remember the presentation a earlier this season, "The Two Gails"?

Are you preserving your family stories?

1 comment:

  1. I certainly am telling my stories, and writing about them in my monthly family newsletter. The newsletter goes to cousins, and other family members. It is a wonderful way to get your young ones interested in genealogy, as I have had several ask more questions and I encourage you to start your story telling right away, Thanks, Tom for your post.

    ReplyDelete